February 24, 2012

Real Talk

I woke up in a terrible, rotten, awful, no good mood today. My mood was only exacerbated by, upon letting the dog out to use the bathroom, noticing that she has turned my front yard into an official mud pit. It looks terrible and that's not an exaggeration. 

I try to be a good pet owner, but the longer we've had Chicory, the more I discover that I am not a dog person. I try, I really do. But she has completely torn apart my front yard, my foyer, my white carpets..the list could go on and on and on. I hate the smell of dog. I hate the smell of dog food. So much that feeding her has turned into me choking down vomit every time I open the dog food container.

I don't feel a whole lot of joy when I have to let her out fifteen times a day in the cold weather, only to have her drag me up the concrete front steps and have my hand completely annihilated when I have to shield myself and my ever growing belly from hitting the pavement and getting seriously injured. (My hand wounds are still healing.)

God bless all of you that love and adore and think the world of your pets. And God bless all of you who are judging me and my discontentment.

....

Something that has made me smile today? Remy, in his wee overalls, trying to help me do laundry.


(P.S. - Before I get attacked...no. I do not hate our dog.)

6 comments:

  1. I am with you on this. I finally reached the age where I understand the constant hesitation my parents always had when we begged for a pet. My philosophy: In order for Mama to remain sane, either the pets or the kids have to go. I chose the kids;)

    God bless the mamas that can do both; I'm just not one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes you just have to let it out, this is your blog that's OK!
    I feel your frustration. I know I might be slightly obsessed with my little guy, but we also had a GOLDEN-DOODLE and she was a pain in the butt! We ended up adopting her out b/c she was too much trouble and too much work, and now she is much better off!! She gets everything she needs now from a new family.
    So I hear ya hon...
    Cute pic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very funny. We woke up this morning at 5:30 a.m. to our dog skulking off of the bed to go and puke underneath it.

    My poor husband had to shove his body as far under the bed as he could as we could not move the bed without taking it apart and my growing pregnant belly could not fit enough to reach the puke. I know the whole time he was thinking, "I never even wanted a dog."

    Anyhow, I've had a dog since I was 10 and always plan on having one but as I get older and have my own house and kids I am amazed that my neurotically clean mother was able to handle having a dog in her house. They are lovable but truly a pain in the neck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No attacks here, when my dogs are good, they are GREAT, when they aren't boy do I want to let them out the front door without their collar on ( for the record, no way would I ever do that) But when I was pregnant and sick, she wrapped her body around my belly and didn't let go. I try to remember the good, but there are days when the bad is so bad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It gets easier, I swear. Although I was lucky with Zoe because she was always well behaved and kind of calm for a boxer. Plus, you picked a really good breed.

    As for the yard, we're working on fixing ours from the damage Zoe has caused from peeing. Only thing you can really do? Soak the spot in water after she pee's. Female dogs tend to go in the same spot though (which causes a majority of the damage).

    They really do get easier (although I don't also have kids to chase around)... and make the kids fill the food ;) Like shoveling snow, they may think it's fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Krystal! We're definitely in it for the long haul. She's a great, gentle dog. But she's still a puppy and boy does she make me want to pull my hair out!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...