August 29, 2011

The Last

This weekend marked the official end of summer.

The kids start school tomorrow.

TOMORROW!

We're hopelessly unprepared, so I'll be spending the rest of today filling out paperwork and making sure we have all our ducks in a row. I don't think I can really put into words the excitement that Olivia is feeling. She's never been in a classroom setting before but she's more than ready for tomorrow. Over the course of the weekend, she exclaimed the following to me.

"This is going to be the best week of my life!"

"Can you believe summer's over?"

"I can't wait to be one of the big kids like Owen!"

"Are you going to miss me while I'm at school, Mom?"

"Do I get my driver's license after I'm done with preschool?"


And the boys? Well, they were busy being boys.


Have I mentioned how grateful I am to have a husband who enjoys playing with his kids? It never fails to completely melt my heart when I look out my back window and see them running around the yard.


I used to secretly poke fun at those moms that would tear up, get all melodramatic and follow the school bus on the first day of school. I worked and went to school when Owen was a baby, so leaving him at daycare or sending him off to school was routine. Normal. Not something I ever got worked up over. Maybe because he's always been so independent and sure of himself. The kid can win anyone over. 


But now I get it. I can understand why some of you stand at the bus stop on the first day of school with tears in your eyes not wanting to let go. Olivia's been my shadow for four years. Always right there, whether I like it or not. And now I have to share her. 

I'm excited for this new chapter. 
(And for the semi-alone time I'll be getting everyday. Coffee! Shopping! Woot!)
But for tomorrow, I'll be "that mom" holding back tears in the drop off line.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...