July 01, 2012

Beautiful and loud.

We braved the weekend grocery shopping crowd to pick up a few things from the local store Saturday afternoon. We walked up and down the aisles, frequently imploring the children to stop touching, whining, and blocking the bread aisle with their shenanigans.

After turning a quick trip to the store for bread and milk into a $100 affair, we made our way to one of the very narrow checkout lanes at the front of the store and waited in line. As soon as we made it up to the conveyor belt, Remy began reaching for the candy bars, making a fuss. Owen and Olivia didn't help things with the endless chorus of "Please?! Please, Mom? Can we pick a candy?" 

I repeated no about a million times and tried to quiet Remy's fussing, which by now was becoming a high pitched screaming.

Le husband was quickly and efficiently unloading the basket, trying his best to pretend he didn't know who the hell the loud group of children next to him were. (Kidding. Totally kidding, le husband.) I glance up and then I see it. A lady walk up to him, smile, and quickly tell him something. I see le husband nod, but couldn't make out what the smiling lady said over Remy's now monkey-like shrieking.

We get home, put the monkey boy down for a nap, and I finally get around to asking le husband what that quick exchange was all about.

"She said we have a beautiful family."

I couldn't help but laugh.

....

Dearest lady in the Martin's grocery store,

You didn't have to go out of your way to say something kind to us. You could have gone the route of the cashier and rolled your eyes at the sheer amount of noise coming from our basket, but those five little words you quickly spoke to my husband truly made my weekend and served to remind me that we are, indeed, abundantly blessed. Even in the moments when I'm contemplating selling all three of my beautiful children to the highest bidder.

Love, 
Me


....


Have you voted today?

6 comments:

  1. This kind of got me choked up, woman. Good stuff! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's probably the hormones. I cry at everything these days. ;)

      Delete
  2. LOVE! And you do have a beautiful family. Loud and proud! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How sweet! My brood usually gets the eye rolls too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful family, indeed. One of my favorites, actually. Thank you for all of the love and support, Jess. I could feel your prayers all the way in that Las Vegas hospital. You are a true friend.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...